Autism Umbrella
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Visual memory

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Visual memory Empty
PostSubject: Visual memory   Visual memory Icon_minitime31/5/2007, 2:31 am

Charlotte's visual memory is outstanding, once seen; never forgotten, but it is causing havoc with her reading....

She has some simple reading books from school which she "reads" with her teacher and then brings home to "read" with me. Trouble is, she already knows what the words are and reels them off without looking at them! She uses the pictures as a visual reminder but won't bother with the words as she has remembered what they say! If you hide the picture she hasn't a clue what the words say and isn't interested in finding out. "I can't do it Mummy, it's too hard" and then she gets angry and aggressive which puts the kybosh on any further attempts for a couple of days!

How can I help my little girl to read? (school are yet to offer any help, despite my telling them that we need it!)
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

Visual memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visual memory   Visual memory Icon_minitime31/5/2007, 2:41 am

Awww bless ya hun

Wish i had the answer for u but i dont, i would suggest speaking with the school (dont let them ignore u) as u need help with this, does C have SALT?

T will avoid anything he doesnt want to do and it can be a hell of a battle just to get him to do it!
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Visual memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visual memory   Visual memory Icon_minitime31/5/2007, 2:45 am

We have a fantastic SALT who Charlotte adores (that's a rare thing! She took to Mel straight away). but I have to confess I hadn't thought of contacting her. My problem is that I only ever think of SALT as someone who deals with people who have difficulties in communicating and the only problem I have with C's speech is that she doesn't stop!!!

I'll drop her an email and see what she says....

Thanks hun.. hug
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

Visual memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visual memory   Visual memory Icon_minitime31/5/2007, 9:56 am

No worries hun, it may not be her field but its worth a try, anything is worth a try when ur as desperate as we are! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Visual memory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visual memory   Visual memory Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Visual memory
Page 1 of 1