Autism Umbrella
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I need some advice please

Go down 
+2
Bambi
kebab
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kebab

kebab

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2007-03-14

I need some advice please Empty
PostSubject: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime3/9/2007, 2:24 pm

Ok here goes, I have met a guy hooray , (yes you heard right), well the thing is he dose'nt know about my illness, all he knows is that I am off work due to sickness, he has been asking questions about why and I have told him I will only talk to him face to face about it (so I can see his reaction).
So how do I tell him? and should I give him the book I have that explains about the illness?, I really like him and don't want to scare him off. Any advice would be greatly recieved x
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime3/9/2007, 3:05 pm

Awww kebab hun im so pleased for ya Very Happy

I dont know what to suggest, is it getting serious? I would say be honest but thats me & if people dont like the truth then thats their prob. If he likes u for who u are (u obviously r getting on) then it shouldnt scare him off, he has got to know u and u r still the same person he met.

Sorry im not of much use! huh
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime4/9/2007, 6:36 am

I'm with Bambi all the way here!

You need to be honest, because it WILL come back and bite you in the bum later on!

Yes, by all means let him read the book AFTER you've told him though!

Just sit him down, and gently explain exactly what your illness entails. If he can't deal with it, it would be awfully childish of him as he likes you now and you still have your illness, he simply doesn't know about it yet!

If he really likes you, then he'll carry on liking you and if he runs away, then you are better off without him.

Good luck.

Oh, make sure that you are as relaxed as possible when you tell him, maybe after you have have spent a nice time together, so the most recent memory he has is of lovely you. (I don't mean it will be his last memory of you as he runs screaming for the hills either!!)
Back to top Go down
Lolly

Lolly

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime4/9/2007, 9:11 am

hi kebab,well Im maybe not of much use but I think you should GO FOR IT!hug
obviously he like you for being you but if he changes his tune when you tell him,then he aint worth it
you deserve to be happy,fingers crossed for you hun&hope it all works out how u want it to:)
lolly xx
Back to top Go down
kebab

kebab

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime9/9/2007, 6:21 am

I would like to say a big thankyou for all your advise, yesterday I told him the truth and he seemed to understand,well his body language and face gave good signs, he said a previous girlfriend suffered with it so he understands that it will never go away and that it is life long.All I have to do is wait to see if he contacts me again. x
Back to top Go down
misty

misty

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime9/9/2007, 7:04 am

Im pleased he has responded so positively thumbup I hope everything goes really well for you both xxx
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime9/9/2007, 1:47 pm

Sounds good to me! hug (glad you went through with it, I suspect it must have taken some courage on your part hugging )
Back to top Go down
kebab

kebab

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime10/9/2007, 1:12 am

I was so scared that I would put off the only guy I'd met in the last 3 years, but at the moment all seems well. He has texted me a few times since so thats a good sign?
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime10/9/2007, 6:59 am

If he didn't want to know then he wouldn't have any contact with you at all, so, yeah, I'd say it was a good sign! hug
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime10/9/2007, 1:44 pm

yahoo Go Girl!! yahoo
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime10/9/2007, 2:22 pm

Thats what we like to hear! hooray so pleased for ya hun yahoo

This is a lesson to be learnt, acceptance is all we ask for & more people need to be aware of conditions on the spectrum for acceptance to grow Smile

Enjoy kebab u deserve it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need some advice please   I need some advice please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need some advice please
Page 1 of 1