Autism Umbrella
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swimming.....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime9/5/2008, 2:35 am

I have been dreading this.

School are starting to take the children swimming next month, and frankly I have got my knickers in a twist over it all!

I am extremely keen that C gets 1:1 supervision at all times (well, initially anyway) as she has never been swimming, obviously therefore CAN'T swim and has never even seen a swimming pool as they are incredibly noisy busy places and she can't cope with noisy busy places at all.

I can't help her with this one as I have a medical condition which makes it incredibly difficult for me to go swimming (plus the fact that I too, can't actually swim anyway!) so I am having to rely on school. Something I find really really hard.

So, am I justified in asking school to provide 1:1 care for C when she enters a whole new environment? How would I know whether they would provide it on the day anyway? Am I being stupidly over-protective?

C is desperate to go and I want her to do it as I'm sure she'd love it, but not if they are not going to take her condition seriously.

I understand that they use a local private school's pool (I'll find out more on Tuesday) which would be quieter for her but even that isn't enough to allow them to fob me off.

Do I have the right to demand what I believe to be adequate care for her? I don't want to upset the apple cart here, but at the same time she's my daughter and I need to know that they are doing their job properly. They assume parental responsibility when I leave her in their care during the day, but does that stretch as far as providing her with the level of care that she receives when not in school?

Ugh. Too many questions.

What do you think? What would you do/have you done?
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2007-03-12

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime11/5/2008, 2:15 pm

If you can't participate then can you go along as a helper or is there anyone else around you that you trust to go in your place?

She is your child & you know her better than anyone & are well within your rights to ask lots of questions, put your fears across & if necessary pull her out of going if you think she might be put in danger. Go get 'em!! xx
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime11/5/2008, 2:22 pm

Grr! I've gone all Mummy Tiger! Smile

To be honest I would go as a helper as a last resort as I want her to gain some independance, and I feel like I'm removing the responsibility from school. The take the attitude that if I'm there then they don't have to bother with her....

I have no body at all that I can ask....

....unless anyone here fancies a trip to Surrey every week?! lol!

I have a MAP meeting with school on Tuesday so will grill the SENco if she bothers to turn up. She didn't last time! (Whole new post that one!)

Thanks Grandma. Sometimes it's hard for me to determine if I am being careful with her personal safety or sub-consciously trying to remove all and any (real or imagined) dangers......
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime7/6/2008, 12:42 pm

Below are emails between myself and Mrs S, Charlotte's Head Teacher...

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 5:41 PM
Subject: Swans-a-Swimming

Please could you pass on my thanks to everyone involved in today's swimming lesson?

I collected a happy (and tired) Charlotte from school today.
A Charlotte who now can't wait for next Friday to go "ducking and diving"!

I don't know how it went really, but all I do know is that I have a very happy and relaxed Charlotte (and I don't see that very often) and that means a lot in my house!

Roll on Friday!

Hello

I got into the water prepared to support her and she took to water like a duck to water. I helped her to go from one side to another but it soon became apparent that she wanted to be independent. i said to her a couple of times, Mummy is going to be so proud of you! What I must also tell you is that she helped another child who was very scared to be in the pool - she helped her to relax. So Charlotte did had a very happy swimming session, She loved it this week. But I think we take each week as it comes, she was absolutely a joy to behold. She loved it. I am an Aquarian and have been a water baby since I was born but Charlotte was just so revelling in her freedom to zoom around the pool. i have suggested to the staff with me that next week we bring the camera so you can see.

She was delightful!

Have a good weekend and thank you for your thanks

Mrs. S
Headteacher

hooray And I was stressing....
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime9/6/2008, 1:47 pm

Thats fantastic news hun and im so pleased it all went well thumbup

Well done C! hooray
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime9/6/2008, 1:50 pm

I knew she'd love....long may it continue! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime10/6/2008, 12:07 pm

Woohoo!! That's the answer to the whirlwind that hits your house on a daily basis!! A swimming pool in the garden!! Start digging!! xx
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime10/6/2008, 12:08 pm

Woohoo!! That's the answer to the whirlwind that hits your house on a daily basis!! A swimming pool in the garden!! Start digging!! xx
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime10/6/2008, 12:09 pm

Wow! How did I do that!! Heehee!! xx
Back to top Go down
misty

misty

Number of posts : 783

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime11/6/2008, 7:36 am

Thats brilliant thumbup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swimming..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swimming.....   Swimming..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swimming.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Autism Umbrella :: ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders) Topics :: Support and Advice-
Jump to: