Autism Umbrella
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

mmr

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
misty

misty

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2007-03-12

mmr Empty
PostSubject: mmr   mmr Icon_minitime9/7/2008, 7:26 am

Im having a real panic at the mo over whether to give the baby the mmr at all, at a later date ie after 18 months or at 13 months as is recommended. if I wait till after 18 months when it normally becomes noticable Im worried that if he then does show symptoms I will be cursing myself for the rest of my life. If I let him have it at 13 months its over and done with but if he does deveope autsm I will never know if it was the jab or just how he was meant to be. If he never has it theres always the risk he will catch measles, mumps or rubella. Im not sure what to do, tho I will prob just take him at 13 months and what will be will be I suppose. I just look at my little boy who is already bright as a button and communicating with babbles, raising his arms up to be carried and enjoying loads of eyecontact, he realy is a sociable little thing, and worry so much that 1 jab could take this away from him. I know its be proven theres no link but as his mum I carnt help but worry that this could be soemthing to trigger autism in him. Am i being completely paranoid? Sorry im babbling lol I do this alot when Im anxious.
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

mmr Empty
PostSubject: Re: mmr   mmr Icon_minitime9/7/2008, 1:18 pm

hugging hug Aw.....you poor thing. Please don't get yourself upset!

I can only say what I have read and my own personal experiences.

Right then.....first of all, the current line of thinking is that there is NO link to Autism via the MMR.

Feel better? No, I didn't think so!

It seems to be acknowledged that a lot of the children later diagnosed with Autism begin to show symptoms at around the same time as the MMR is administered. Coincidence? I don't know. I know that some seemingly healthy children were in a matter of a few days showing all the signs of quite low-functioning autism. I find it hard to comprehend that a child functioning at 100% on Monday can be functioning at 30% by Wednesday. To me it seems highly implausible, but I am no expert.

When C was 'called up' for her MMR I went through absolute torment trying to decide what to do for my perfect little angel. I had NO experience and NO understanding of Autism and I confess that my ignorance was boundless! I thought Autism was a child who was either a genius in one particular aspect (playing the piano or maths or something!) or little more than a drooling idiot. My God! How much I have learnt and how far I have travelled since her dx in November 2006. I feel awful now about my preconceived and naive concept of Autism.

Did I give her the MMR?
No. I wasn't prepared to inflict Autism on my daughter.
How ironic is that? She already WAS Autistic.

I wasn't prepared to not vaccinate at all, and I paid privately to have her vaccinated. She received each vaccine seperately, which meant a lot more holes in her arms and legs, but she wasn't going to develop Autism!

Quite a while ago I came to the conclusion that you, Misty, have more 'balls' than I do. There is NO WAY that I would contemplate another child (after C's dx), although I would have loved one. I simply couldn't do it. I take my hat off to you, I really do.

If I WAS in your situation, PERSONALLY I wouldn't have the MMR. I would then know, without any doubt, that I hadn't taken my baby and changed his world. I would vaccinate seperately. With no hesitation. I paid an absolute fortune (Up to £150 per jab. Still paying it back) but it bought peace of mind, and that is priceless.
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Number of posts : 897

mmr Empty
PostSubject: Re: mmr   mmr Icon_minitime10/7/2008, 4:03 am

Only you know in your heart what you would prefer to do but I would say to vaccinate at some point. Good luck!! xx
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

mmr Empty
PostSubject: Re: mmr   mmr Icon_minitime14/7/2008, 7:01 am

I would definately vaccinate hun, how u do that is up to you (whether all at once or seperate) but to not vaccinate at all could cause all kinds of problems health wise.

Hope things are well Smile
Back to top Go down
misty

misty

Number of posts : 783

mmr Empty
PostSubject: Re: mmr   mmr Icon_minitime17/7/2008, 2:18 am

Thankyou everyone hugging got alot to think about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mmr Empty
PostSubject: Re: mmr   mmr Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mmr
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Autism Umbrella :: ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders) Topics :: Medical and Health-
Jump to: