Autism Umbrella
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T lost it while sessional worker was here

Go down 
+4
misty
Clair
marshmallow
Bambi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

T lost it while sessional worker was here Empty
PostSubject: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 6:50 am

T got very angry & violent while C (sessional worker) was here, she came and he refused to leave what he was doing on the pc until he wanted to (typical) we were trying to say its fine just save ur work then u can come back to it when he comes back home. Nope T didnt want to do that, he was screaming and using foul language along with saying he didnt want to paint the hand he made last week and he wasnt going to do what C had planned.

In the end he finished the work off and saved it, then we moved on to him getting his trainers on (T wont put his footwear on until he is going out, i tried to get him to before she came but to no avail) and he was getting very agitated saying he didnt want to go.

I sat next to him to help him put his footwear on and try to calm him with the fun time he will have when he goes out with C, T quick as a flash kicked me in the face, right on my jaw bone and with the one foot that had a trainer on at the time Sad it bloody hurt and it brought tears to my eyes. I cant believe how quick he is getting and how much he really hurts me but its only getting worse as he gets bigger and even stronger than he already is Sad

C was shocked i think, she asked me if my jaw was ok and is he like this on a daily basis? i told her yes and for years i have been trying to get help for T but only to be told his problems are just behavioural and down to my parenting, she replied no its not.

She sat next to me while i explained about the assessment report, how the psychologist in nottingham has to come to my area to educate the professionals here so they realise and take on board the seriousness of Ts problems. C went on to tell me thats why she is making her reports about T herself, what she witnesses here and while he is with her is all noted and it will all help my corner.

Bless C she really is nice and i could see she was very concerned after seeing T in meltdown mode, he was shaking his body all over the place and i had to hold him for his own safety.

Also when T goes into major meltdown mode he complains that his throat is hurting him (noticed this for the last week) and he screams in a panic about his throat hurting, saying he is going to die Sad

I have called Ts Paed and left an urgent message becuase it is worrying me now, why is it his throat becomes such a prob when he is in meltdown mode and it is fine other times? will discuss this with him when he calls me back.

Im feeling really low and my jaw hurts Sad
Back to top Go down
marshmallow

marshmallow

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 7:01 am

Loads of hug for you, hope you jaw is feeling better. It is gret that C is making notes to help you fight your corner, sorry the melt downhad to happen in the first place, but at least you had a witness. The sore throat could be due to the fact that T is very tense, and all his muscles tense up, including the throat muscles.
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 7:43 am

Awww thanx hun and i have been reading up on the side effects of Ts med and guess what? yep sore throat is there and so is runny nose, T has both of these.

Paeds secretary has told me he will call me after clinic (5pm today) he is there all afternoon, so i will discuss where we go from here.

I was meant to go shopping and do my bits while T was out today but i wasnt in the mood after what happend so i stayed home and enjoyed the peace, while i can!
Back to top Go down
Clair

Clair

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-04-18

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 8:08 am

Hope you are ok Sad

But as you say at least now people are getting to see what it is like for you.
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 11:30 am

Yep they sure are and its a great shame it is like this for us, being made to feel like Ts probs are down to me by so called professionals for many yrs has demoralised me :(

Spoke with Paed and he is baffled with Ts throat hurting only during meltdown and i told him he has a thick line at either side of his neck popping out, we can go see him 2moro if i can manage to get T to go (not up for a meltdown over it) so we will see eh!

He said aswel about T not letting anyone look in his mouth (usual medical probs) so i may go and nothing can be seen or done.

As for the meds causing it he doubts it if its only during meltdown mode, but to see if the meds are the effect we are dropping a dose of his med (morning dose) to take T off the med completely can send him into hyper meltdown and Paed didnt want that for T at all.

So we go the weekend with the one dose daily and see if his throat problem is still there when he has a meltdown.
Back to top Go down
misty

misty

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 1:21 pm

hugging hope your jaw is feeling better soon. Sounds positive that C is seeing this and writing the reports though. Take care xxx
Back to top Go down
mum2charlotte

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 1:46 pm

hug What a day!
Still, at least you have a witness who was already on your side...

I'm inclined to agree with Marshmallow (I think it was) who said about T's muscles tensing up. Let's hope it's that simple.

Hope you feel better soon. And I don't only mean your jaw hugging
Back to top Go down
GrandmaKyak

GrandmaKyak

Number of posts : 897

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime10/5/2007, 8:02 pm

Thinking of you & sending big hugs & big big love. xx
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime11/5/2007, 3:59 am

Thanx everyone I love you dunno what i would do without u all.
Back to top Go down
Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime11/5/2007, 2:20 pm

T's behaviour reminds me a lot of Jack's behaviour when he was little. The only exception being that Jack used to bite me, also. I believe that T's remarks about his throat hurting did not apply to actual physical pain. Autistic people have a very difficult time understanding an abstract concept like emotions. However, they do understand very well what physical pain is. When they experience intense emotions, they become very confused about what they are feeling. The only way for them to express themselves is by referring to physical pain. For example, when Jack was upset or angry, he would say he felt sick. Eventually, T will learn more socially acceptable ways to express himself. I promise. cloud9
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime13/5/2007, 12:13 pm

Awww bless ya thanx for the words of wisdom there and yes thats what i thought it mite be but was worried for a tad, as Ts Paed said it was strange that his throat only hurts while having a meltdown. This is why he doubted very much that it was his meds that was the cause of this.

T does bite me Kellie, i have had bites from when he was as young as 1 to the present day, so bad that they bleed and leave bad scars. He is very much like an animal and he will bite at my ankles if he isnt coping (with the situation at the time) when he drops to the floor. I get bitten during every meltdown T has and intermittently throughout the day, i can cope while home when he does it but in public people look horrified and stare a lot, that part of my life really does get me down at times.

I dont want people looking at us all the time, wish i could get away from that.
Back to top Go down
Kellie B.

Kellie B.

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime14/5/2007, 9:52 am

Jack's behaviour in public was very humiliating sometimes. But after awhile I didn't care what people thought anymore, because they didn't know what I went thru on a daily basis. This is an example of how rude people can be. When we took Jack to Disneyland in 1994, we got the "no waiting" pass, the one I told you about. On more than 1 occasion, when we went to the head of a long line, someone said loudly"What's wrong with him?", or something similiar. I simply told them it was none of their business. I still don't care what other people think, because they don't have to walk in my shoes everyday! cheers
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime14/5/2007, 4:18 pm

I know what u mean, its just some days i could do without it (PMT time!). Its guaranteed we get looked at when out & about but i could lose it at times with peoples comments (stares are easier to ignore) i wouldnt dare tell another parents anything if their kid was playing up even if he wasnt ASD, thats their business!

Oh well i guess T will always have an audience, well he is heading to being on the big screen with his role playing! Laughing
Back to top Go down
misty

misty

Number of posts : 783

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime15/5/2007, 1:54 am

Its the comments and stares that really upset me aswell. I remember the day I went to Eureka with Bambi, I didnt mention it to you at the time Bambi because I was worried how you would react but when you where paying for your shopping in the supermarket and T was playing on the floor round your feet and trying to run the lady behind the checkout looked at me and started rolling her eyes you know the look as if to say carnt she control her child, needless to say she got a very stoney glare from me. However she then gave a sympathetic look to me as dd was sat in a disabled trolley and sat swipping at things on the checkout explode 2 very different reactions from the same person and only because one child was sat in a disabled trolley and one wasnt, if dd hadnt have been in the trolley things would have been so different.
Back to top Go down
kebab

kebab

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime15/5/2007, 2:06 am

it's always the same, if people can see a disability they seem un sympathetic, I am hard of hearing aswell as being bipolar and if i can hear what people are saying they think i'm being ignorant, when I tell them i'm hard of hearing they say REALLY, then I have to explain myself.
The same with bipolar I had to tell a lady at work about my condition and she said maybe my problem was that I was on too many pills ( I quietly laughed to myself) I think we should all wear a bandage round our heads and see if anyone makes any comments then Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bambi
Admin
Bambi

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime15/5/2007, 5:16 am

It doesnt suprise me what u have said misty and i get them looks all the while, Ts disability is not obvious due to it being invisible. So yes very true kebab!

Sometimes dont u wish people were more accepting and non-judgemental? thats in an ideal world and we sure dont live in one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T lost it while sessional worker was here   T lost it while sessional worker was here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T lost it while sessional worker was here
Page 1 of 1